Monday, November 3, 2014

5. Graham-Hewlett Hall

Graham Hewlett Hall
     The first location I will present is also the first place I start my day every morning and end my day every night. The Graham-Hewlett residency hall was once two separate buildings that now stand together after construction in 2000. This building hosts 384 students, both, male and female, and predominately freshman students.  The two halls are identical with Graham hall on the left and Hewlett hall on the right with a shared great room in the middle. The rooms are set up suite style where typically 2 students will share a room, 4 students will share a common area, and 8 students will share a bathroom that includes 2 toilets, 2 showers, and 2 sinks. Security in this building is taken very seriously which I am thankful for because I don't have the constant worry of my belongings getting stolen without the record of that person being in the building. I'll be honest, my roommate and myself do not lock our door as often as we should but with the security measures that are taken I do not worry when I forget to lock it. Also, at night we don't lock the door but I can still sleep soundly because any guest has to be checked in as an overnight guest and will be on record if anything were to happen. To enter the building as a student one must swipe their One Card to unlock the front double doors, then they must also present their One Card to the front desk attendant at the time to continue on into the building. Students are allowed to bring guests into the building but check them in with the front desk attendant by showing the students One Card and showing them the guest's ID. Guests of the same sex are allowed to stay over night any of the day of the week but on the weekends any guest can come and go because there is 24 hour guest check in Friday through Sunday. The check in process is the same any day of the week and students must make sure to check out their guests anytime they leave the building and must check them back in if they come back.


       For first year students, like myself, that are in the transition process into college this building and community is a very helpful place. I live on the Graham side of the building so I will talk in detail about what it includes. With in the Graham hall there is a classroom with a printer/scanner which makes printing out assignments in a hurry extremely helpful, a free laundry room on the first floor, a kitchen with appliances you can use, and an ice machine. Not only are the ameniites for the building great but the staff is very helpful with any issue a student come across. Each floor has a Resident Assistant that lives on the floor with the students and makes everyone feel at home whenever they can. Specifically to my floor, my RA Megan hosted a spaghetti dinner one night which I really appreciated after eating Wagner for so many meals!

Check out this video to see more:
http://youtu.be/VvtG_2uKFKE

No comments:

Post a Comment